Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Salvageable.

Clothes are awesome. I love clothes. The trendier the better. I'm not talking about trendy like you see on MTV where skinny super models wear fishnet stockings on their heads and garbage bags around their legs and call it fashion. Not at all. American Eagle is one that I love. When I go to my local mall, that's usually the first place I go.

The signs they have are beautiful. The people on the posters look so happy as they swing on tire swings and squirt water at each other. I want that life. My feet usually lead me to the sale rack and I think, 'Wow, this still isn't cheap.". As much a I love this store and the clothes that sleeps inside of it, I can't wear it anymore.

Just a few years ago it was cool or "vintage" to buy your clothes at a Goodwill store. Trust me, I was one of the first ones in line to buy some of that clothes. Now the cool thing is to "go green". I will tell you, I am a true convert of this lifestyle. The road is long for my family and I on this going green thing but we love it so far. We recycle our plastics, glass and things of that nature. There's not always light on in our house and the water won't dare drip where we live.

So if I'm going to make this a lifestyle, why not make it clothes as well? I usually don't care what I look like because my $60 jeans from AE have holes and patches in them like goodwill clothes mimics. Or wait, maybe AE is mimicing them. Anyway, I am making a new vow. There is plenty of clothes out there for all of us. We just need to get over the fact that someone else wore them. (Make sure and get passed the smell of moth balls and feet as well.)

So my new shopping place is Goodwill. Not because it's cool, but because it's there. If we all started buying our clothes from Goodwill, the major corporations like AE and Hollister couldn't monopolize the market anymore. You know why? They wouldn't have anyone to make clothes for...

Peace from the mean streets of "the 'rillo".

PS - Tell me what you think.
-ricky g

5 comments:

Amber said...

Take it a step further, what about the impact on people being abused to make our clothing? To be Christlike in our green-ness, means we must not only think about our planet, but also about those we share the planet with. $60 jeans are fine as long as the workers make a livable wage, the environment is not damaged, and those buying the jeans are doing all they can to care for the planet and others. Of course, with that standard $60 jeans are never fine.

The Weisgerbers said...

fat girls don't fit in hollister and american eagle. haha.

i like goodwill. but, the women's center on 10th is really good. one of my favs. :)

Dan said...

I don't even really buy cloths. I get the freebies that they give at tournaments, blood drives, random church events and the such. I think you should only change your "style" if its you that changed, not everyone else.

domineivimus said...

I think you are really gay. No seriously. You actually have gone off the deepend since I left america. One of the first places I will go when I get back to america will be your house and then you will take me to AE. The Polar Ice Caps are melting and we are all going to die. So hurry and stop using plastic bags and get all new "GREEN" ligh bulbs. Or we are all going to DIE! HURRY!

Your Gay. I don't know if we can be friends any more
And be honest with yourself and everyone else. You just can't afford AE jeans any longer because the economy is in the crapper and our dollar is worth crap.

domineivimus said...

Lets get real on this blog. Your not shopping at Goodwill, your shopping in my closet at my moms house. She will give you anything of mine.