Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Turning 35.

Happy birthday to me.  Today.  February 10th, 1981, my mom gave birth to a beautiful little boy named, well, me.  Ha.  She always seems to call me on this day after dinner and says, "happy birthday papito!  I love you and am so proud of you."  Words I will never tire of hearing.

I don't know what makes 35 so reflective but it makes me stop and think.  I'm halfway to 40.  Wow.  I still feel like I'm 18 in so many ways.  My body tells me otherwise after a game of pick-up basketball.  I just wanted to take a minute on the morning of my 35th birthday and tell you a little bit of what I've learned...

These are some things I've learned in 35 years:

My dad taught me the most valuable lesson.  Use your ears more than your mouth.  I tell my children this everyday before school.

My mom taught me to love no matter what.  It doesn't matter what they do to you or say.  Love them.

My wife taught me to be patient.  The hardest lesson to learn so far.

My children have taught me to laugh.  Their laughter is better than money in the bank.

My father-in-law taught me that hard work pays off and that there are no short-cuts in life.  If you do see a short-cut, don't take it.

My mother-in-law taught me that love trumps any negative thing someone could say to you or about you.

My sister taught me to keep pushing, keep asking and don't give up.

My sister-in-law taught me to love my family and how important they will always be.

My brother-in-law taught me to be humble, quiet and work hard no matter who is looking.

The Holy Spirit has taught me that he's with me no matter who distant I feel.

Jesus has taught me that he loves me no matter how I feel that day.

The Father has taught me that He doesn't condemn me no matter what I've done.

These are just a few things I've learned.  The greatest lesson I've learned so far in 35 years is to know that I'm loved not because of what I can do or say or how hard I can work.  I'm loved because Jesus made me lovable.  That's the best thing I know today.  Resting in the truth of Romans 8:1.

-ricky g




No comments: